Thursday, September 3, 2009

Well Traineed Staff: Example

If you read the post just before this one, you probably sensed my angst re: having to say 'no' to a placement; a young girl. I just got off the phone with the caseworker, I'll call her Rachel. This is basicially how the call went:

R- So, tell me how the meeting went last night.

N- Well, Rachel, I don't think I'm the best placement for this gal.

R- Really? Why?

N- The program she will be a part of (and needs!) is very intense and more structure than I want in my home. I want more of a relationship building experience than a control-focused home.

R-Oh, Nancy, i totally understand! I would too. (here she shared her point of view of the newest research and some of the theories of a book called "Beyond Consequences...", which I also have read)

N- Thank you so much for understanding and supporting me, Rachel.

R- Oh, of course! I am just glad that you know yourself well enough, and that you know how the system works so you can make the best choices for your home. (all paraphrased of course)

N- Think of me again in the future.

R- I definitely will.

Yes, this is a diluted version, but it is the gist of a phone call with an educated, clinical Social Worker. She not only validated my feelings, but she spoke to me with kindness, respect and as a peer. That was so appreciated. I presumed that phone call would be hard to have, but it wasn't. This 'Rachel' worker, is a keeper. You too can have the support of DCFS if you hold to your value system and are honest with them. When I make a commitment to take a child into my home, I will be commiting to that child until they go home; they will not be kicked out because they punch a hole in a wall, or steal from me, or lie to me, or skip school, or get pregnant, or run away. I will hang in there with them...because I am the trained adult, because I believe in forever families and because I've seen people change and I have faith in people.

2 comments:

A GAL NEEDS... said...

It will be fun to meet the lucky girl/boy who gets to be in your home. I know you'll be a great fp

Rachel said...

I like your choice in name. :D