Saturday, February 27, 2010

Don't Be Afraid of Teens - Part 2 :)

The second biggest news is that I found a substitute for my Heber City class so that I could attend an inservice training at the Provo Library!

But the BIGGEST news is that my 16yr old was on a 4 person panel, at this training, talking about what it's like to be a teen in foster care and sharing her experiences being in foster care. She was brave and silly and articulate. She's my hero!

I am grateful for the Utah Foster Care Foundation for at least two things today:
ONE- they know the importance of finding families to foster teen-agers and
TWO- they arranged this opportunity for two REAL LIFE teens in foster care to show our licensed families that not all teens are trouble makers, losers, unadoptable, criminals or threats to their kids.

Both of the girls who were on the panel were honest and with different experiences and different goals.

Just like the teens in YOUR neighborhood, you'll find the gammet of interests, skills, motivation, music preferences, intelligence, friendliness, silliness, seriousness and resiliency. Why don't you look into the opportunity to move into our neighborhood, the FOSTER CARE neighborhood.

1 comment:

Julia Harding said...

Thanks again for the info! I enjoyed the panel. It really got Dave and I talking about it. Your foster daughter is adorable. Thank her for telling her story and answering many questions that could be uncomfortable. She did great! She's also lucky to have such a wonderful and supportive foster mother!